Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Sweet Eat of the Day- Pressed Breakfast Burritos

Although I am no Rachel Ray or Paula Dean in the kitchen, I do enjoy trying new recipes. Now being a busy mom I also need recipes that are quick and easy and keep the peeps happy. So while thumbing through the Williams-Sonoma catalog (have I mentioned how much I LOVE W-S?)
Pressed Breakfast Burritos via Williams-Sonoma


 I ran across this delicious looking recipe for breakfast burritos. My family loves breakfast and I am always looking for new ways to spruce up the most important meal of the day, so I thought this recipe to be perfect. Also, with having our monthly family brunches, this would give me the chance to showcase my skills and add to the three things i am known for cooking well!  However, it called for their Breville Panini press which cost a pretty penny, $119.95! Now, I haven't priced panini presses and was not  in the market for buying one so I wasn't sure if this was a good price or not. I just needed a recipe and so I decided to try it without the pretty shiny panini press. Sooooo, I fried it up in the the pan!

Now, of course mine didn't come out all pretty like the W-S panini pressed burrito, but it sure was tasty.  The fam gave it a two thumbs up! Check out the recipe below (I modified it a bit, in red) and have fun making your own modifications to birth your own burrito creation!
My pan-fried breakfast burrito




Williams- Sonoma Pressed Breakfast Burrito Recipe (my modifications are in red)

1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (i did not use this, kiddos would not like the hot)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tbs fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste (i used regular salt, it tasted just as good i'm sure)
2 large avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
3 Tbs. olive oil, push more for brushing
1 each read and green bell pepper and diced
3/4 lb. potatoes, boiled until tender, diced (i used fozen diced taters- i'm a busy mom okay)
freshly ground pepper to taste
6 thick-cut bacon slices
12 eggs
6 large burrito-style flour tortillas
6 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
Sour cream and salsa for serving

Put jalapeno (if you decide to add it, i omitted it), garlic, lime juice and 1/2 tsp salt in a small bowl; smash with pestle or fork. Add avocados and cilantro; mix and mash.

In large nonstick fry pan over med. heat warm 2 tsp oil. Cook bell peppers for about 5 mins. Add potatoes; cook 3-5 mins more. Season with salt and pepper.

In a bowl, beat eggs, salt and pepper. In nonstick fry pan over med- high heat, warm 1 tbs of oil . Cook eggs until curd form, 2-3 minutes.
Recipe calls for top each tortilla with large spoon full of eggs, etc. (but i buttered pan and placed tortilla in pan) adding eggs, pepper mixture, avocado mixture, 1 crumbled bacon slice and 1 oz. of cheese. Now from here WS requires using the panini press.  I, however (minus the panini press)  then folded burrito and brushed lightly with butter and fried in the pan on each side for about 2 minutes each side. Cook remaining burritos same way and serve with salsa on the side. BTW, Williams-Sonoma has AMAZING taqueria salsa for $10 but believe me it is worth every penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment